Was definitely blasting out Lizzo while I was drawing this piece! Below is some more information about my process…
I started off doing some rough sketches and thumbnails, just brain-dumping everything that came to mind and onto the page. I highlighted some words that I considered more important than others, and made sure that those were bigger or in a different typestyle than the rest of the lettering. I finally settled with an idea where there will be a banner on the top wrapping around two potion/DNA bottles, and a steaming cauldron at the bottom.
Time to refine the sketch! I start off just roughly drawing out the skeleton of the piece so that I can figure out how much space each word was going to take, before scrapping it out and then drawing over it again in more detail.
I traced over it using Faber Castell pens in various thicknesses before scanning it into Photoshop and colouring it in!
And there we have it!
I hope you enjoyed this lil’ process blog post. I really enjoyed doing it so maybe I’ll do more in future…